Ha! Lettuce!
See those weedy looking things that are a little bit lighter green and a little more broad of leaf than the rest of the weeds? That's lettuce! I had half-heartedly scattered lettuce seeds among the garlic what seems like eons ago, and had given up on it sprouting. I discovered them today while weeding and thinning the garlic. They must have sprouted at least a week ago to be that size now, but never having grown lettuce from seed before--and not having done a lot of weeding in the garlic of late, as I'm sure you can tell--I didn't notice them. (I still have a lot of weeding to do.) There should be at least four varieties, though I don't remember what. I'd have to look in my garden journal and I can't be bothered.
Yesterday I planted a lemon tree:
I've got it in a container so that I can move it if I need to (potentially to another residence--something you always have to keep in mind with perennial plants in rented yards) and to help keep it small. Potted trees tend to stay fairly small because they can't develop the root system they need to get to full size.
To the left of the lemon tree, we have marjoram--with some grassy weeds growing up through the middle--and strawberries, though last year I got exactly two small berries. In the hanging pot is catnip. If I tried to grow it anywhere else, little Mr. Dirty Paws would make short work of it. It's pretty small now, but as spring springs, it'll get big again.
Here's a fairly boring shot of my peas:
Hard to get a good shot of them. Something's been nibbling on them, so they're not as big as they ought to be, but they seem to be recovering. Today I planted some more to fill in the gaps where the first planting didn't come up.
The broccoli has bloomed a lot more:
And any day now I expect to look out there and see fully bloomed daffodils:
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home